Saturday, March 20, 2010

process of elimination

To obtain a Nursing career, a candidate must apply to an associate's or bachelor's degree, maintain the required GPA, graduate, and take exams for a license to practice what they have learned.  When reviewing for exams, we are taught techniques on how to find the correct answer--one of which is the process of elimination.

Two years ago, I always thought that the process of elimination only applied to options A-D written on the paper or flashed on the screen, everything else in life just required luck and fate. Modesty aside, I feel quite fortunate having almost everything within my arm's reach. My two previous employers hired me through referrals and I made sure that I never made them feel they made a wrong choice.

Now, back to the country where I grew up in (Saudi Arabia) I have experienced being unemployed for 11 months to be exact. My parents decided to withdraw me from the Philippines since, in their opinion, my life wasn't going anywhere. Well, for a 22 year old I felt that life was at its height, I was working, enrolled in graduate school, dancing, modeling, and hitting the beach almost every other weekend. What more can a young adult ask for?

My parents say, A STEADY career with a tangible future.

So as of Wednesday (March 17), I had two job offers at hand. One was as an Operating Room Nurse at MDH and the other one at MGH (I just don't know which unit yet). 

I prayed to God which offer to take as I seriously want to end this unemployment misery ASAP. The MDH offered me to start working today -yes, March 20-as they are currently having this huge shortage at the OR... BUT it is only temporary until they begin 2010 Nurse hiring in the Philippines. Hearing this made me feel like there wasn't any guarantee for my future. I would still need to go through the hiring process again a few months down the line.

As expected, I turned down their hefty and inticing offer for professionalism's sake (if that's how to put it). In my opinion, both parties-the hospital and applicant-need to win in this situation, and with their offer I just couldn't see my tangible future (as what my parents envisioned for me). I still feel pretty guilty about what I did since my qualifications don't have much to brag about, I mean who am I to turn down offers? But is it bad to think of self-gains as well?

The process of elimination has left me with one guaranteed job offer and another that's keeping me waiting at the wings. My dream hospital hasn't called me back for an interview yet and my friend is trying his best to follow-up my application.

Somehow, I am having this new sense of fulfillment by discerning on which choice to make, talking to people involved about my decision, and standing up for it--regardless of its consequences in the future.

Gee, I feel like an adult already! Can't wait to get started with MGH!

1 comment:

  1. Mai Hua, your parents only have good intentions for you and your future. I do hope more opportunities open up for you so you may be able to discern what job will best provide for your needs. Good luck on the job hunting, though.

    I look forward to reading more stories from you soon.

    Thanks for dropping by my site too.

    ReplyDelete