Thursday, March 25, 2010

Blah Blah Blah

I seriously need to get this off my chest!! Yesterday, during one of the intermissions of the fashion show, I played the song 'Blah Blah Blah' by Kesha as a request of some of my students which unintentionally drew 1-2 violent reactions from the audience. Now, the concerned parent warned me about it although she wasn't able to mention names as she couldn't quite remember. But what amazed me was how she was able to quote some lines of the song herself... All she needed to tell me was that it was her and her hubby who didn't like it. LOL =)

Here's the video of the song:



Sorry I dunno how to adjust the dimensions of the video to fit the posting area of my block. But I think it's good enough to watch. LOL

Yes I do understand where this mother is coming from. Maybe it's coz we're in Saudi and the hitcharts don't arrive until weeks later, that explains why this song is still unheardof. But in the Billboard Hot 100, it is currently #15 and on its 11th week, if I'm not mistaken. And people mind you, the Billboard charts originate from the country this mother comes from, so it's not about crossing the line of cultures here!!!

Now, I'm not trying to defend the lyrics of the song or my students' choice of music; instead, what I'm trying to point out here is that people should open their minds more and welcome different expressions of arts and performance. I know these children are still small, but is it technically alright to keep them uninformed of what's going on outside the world their parents are trying to create?? Teenage moms are sprouting out all over the place, some even as young as 12; although media plays a huge role on this, parents could take it as a positive warning and begin to get their kids prepared to grow up!

I'm grateful my parents never kept me in the dark about sensitive issues surrounding growing up and making babies, as a matter of fact, since I was seven, I have known that babies are created when.....oh nevermind, I wouldn't wanna get all descriptive in my blog! Ha ha ha!

Back to topic!!! This mother told me all this right after the fashion show, the music was still playing, lights were on, and other parents were still taking pictures of their daughters on stage. I, on the other hand, was hellah tired with a stomach growling like crazy. At some point it was like a kick and punch to my face since I have worked so hard--without an assistant!--and it seemed like the smallest mistake ruined the entire show.

But as a child who runs home to mom after getting hurt, I was relieved when I saw my mom all the way at the back of the theater. She was all smiles and couldn't believe I have pulled such a show in 4 days. Mom never expected me to have such responsibility in my life. I did a fashion show last summer, but it had only 1 segment; this Spring we had 3 segments with 2 costume changes---yes, the daredevil I am, always pushing my luck to the limit.

So now I feel a bit more relaxed as I am finishing this blog entry. Like I said earlier, I needed to get it off my chest.

Now if ever this Mr. and Mrs. X do come across my blog, please read: Mommy and daddy, I didn't write this to piss you off or take revenge. I wrote it because I am an avid supporter of art and performing, as what you have seen during your children's fashion show. Ke$ha's song is currently doing well on the Billboard Hitchart; let us appreciate her talent and the catchy beat of the song instead of the lyrics, as many of our generation does--we like the beat, we dig it--that's all! It's not like we follow what the music says, yea-uh, coz that's just uhmmm.. plain stupid.

Well to give credit to Mrs. X's comment, I am seriously going to take some time to sit down and choose the songs carefully without needing suggestions from my students... Hmmm, democracy isn't as beneficial as I thought it was. I am such a neophyte in the directing industry that I can't stand any minor slip-ups! LOL

I can't wait to get to the Philippines to hit the Fashion runway once again =)

No comments:

Post a Comment