Saturday, March 27, 2010

don't rub it in

The sandstorm really killed my class today. I was expecting 11 children to come, but only one brave soldier came out of the haze. Thankfully, she was already a teenager and it wasn't difficult to teach her the core modelling techniques. No kids running around like crazy and no hesitations about whether I was teaching something too advanced for their age.

I woke up this morning to a very sick mother. She came down with the flu plus her vertigo came back. Mom's appetite wasn't good in the morning either, which is why I decided to spend the morning at home with her. I wasn't supposed to leave her until I got an email from Dhahran Recreation saying that I'm gonna have a class at 11am. So much for being mom's private duty nurse.

While getting ready, my mom asked me if I could get my last physical exam done in Aramco before I leave to the Philippines. I stared blankly at her, not believing that my flight's next Saturday already. She's like, "Uhhh.. yeah! You have to finish packing by Friday night honey."

The fact that I have to go just kills me. I don't feel like the same me I was yesterday. At first I thought April was ages away.. but guess what!? March has only four days left!! I'm beginning to feel sad and unsure again. Sad because I'm going to leave such a wonderful family that has taken great care of me since June 2009 and unsure because it's a new chapter in my life. I am taking this transition as positively as possible... I know it's a good change and I'll make it through.

What's interesting about my life is that I seem to be moving into great big changes every Easter Sunday. This is like the second in a row, and I feel it's a blessing...a true blessing from God. Last year, I broke up with my boyfriend and traded everything I had in the Philippines to nothing for Saudi Arabia. Well, at that time it seemed like nothing for me since I wasn't gonna get employed soon, no boyfriend, no more grad school... nothing! Just home, parents and chores. What I didn't foresee was the great big door of opportunities that was opened as I got here. I got to volunteer in two hospitals and establish a great circle of reliable friends. Also, I was able to strengthen my relationship with the folks--which was the best thing ever. =)

So yeah I'm leaving and it's a tough reality. It just gets a little annoying when people have to say it over and over again!! Well I do give them the benefit since they're not all from one circle of friends, but yes... it does hurt when they keep rubbing it in.

I may not be able to post as frequently as I do, but surely I'll write once I get to the Philippines.. Wish me strength and luck!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment