Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Hip Hip Horray for the Pacman!

I was watching Philippine news on TFC earlier and they featured highlights of the great hero's welcome in Manila yesterday afternoon. Manny Pacquiao has won many titles (7 or 8 boxing titles... I'm not quite sure) that has definitely placed Philippines under the spotlight and engraved in history.

I'm not much of a sports fan; I frown when my dad and brother watch ESPN with cans of beer, peanuts, and hotdogs in tow. Why don't they just get off their butts and workout so they could become like the athletes and not ride on other people's laurels (meaning: placing bets on sports players and winning)? Manny Pacquiao didn't sit on his ass all day long day-dreaming of becoming a world-famous boxer, instead he was in the gym all day long with hopes of making a name for himself -- which he did btw.


Honestly, I don't like watching Pacman's games; I think it's coz of all the angst and blood that transpires in the ring. I'd rather watch a cheerleading competition! Ha ha ha! But I do like knowing what happened after his fight. For me, it's inspiring to know that someone has done something great and was equally rewarded for it.

Pacman is a good example of how hardwork could actually get you somewhere; nobody needs to be an athlete to earn as much as he does, they just need to have the same amount of determination and love for what they do. Like, who knew this kid selling you donuts and ice water would eventually be the word's best boxer of all time??

What I'm trying to say here is that everyone should hold on to their dream no matter how big or small it is. They should never take no for answer and try every single possibility to achieve their goals. If someone quits halfway, it's like they've never done it.

There were times in my life when I just dropped learning to do certain things. I remember one time when my parents enrolled me in piano lessons and then bought me a guitar for Christmas. I hated waking up at 8 in the morning just to press some keys, I mean, why couldn't I do it at 4pm instead? What's worse was that, I never played anything more advanced than the Fur Elise. And the guitar that my parents got me, well.... it's sitting pretty on top my closet making friends with the dust.

When I look back at the missed opportunities in my life, I kinda wished I could turn back time and learn music more seriously. I felt like I didn't do anything coz I didn't actually finish anything. I was like a trained soldier who never went into battle.

I learned the importance of dedication when I entered the world of fashion. It was the first time my parents saw me wake up extra early, inspired to the bones, and working hard to meet expectations. Turst me, I didn't get my break easily... as a matter of fact, I first went to schools, then attended fashion shows, and joined auditions. My lucky break came after -what- 10 try-outs??? Ha ha ha! My first photoshoot wasn't served on a silver platter.

But yes, I was able to reap generous rewards afterward. Hardwork does pay off!!

So what I'm trying to say is here is that I can identify with the Pacman. Both of us worked so hard to become who we are today; we maybe at the frontpage of a magazine or just simply an idol of a 7 year old. But one thing remains in common, we never gave up on our dreams.

Likewise, we young adults should persevere in the profession and career path we've chosen. There's no thinking twice and no looking back. Have faith and someday all of our efforts are gonna pay off. There's no delivery stamp on our success, but trust me we'll notice it when it comes. We should pacquiao-in every opportunity that comes which we know could have us achieve our goals and dreams.

Amen! Ameen! =)

No comments:

Post a Comment